Aug 26, 2009

My husband has recently started having a fascination with the oriental culture. In particular the Japanese. It started off harmlessly watching Japanese Animation. My husband being the curious person that he is saw the cartoon characters doing certain things often. So that led him to question "why do they always say this?" "why do they always do that?" and TADA! He's now actively learning all about their culture, traditions, and of course food! I love to learn how to cook new dishes, and styles. So one of the fun things that the Japanese do particularly are decorative Bento Boxes. "Bento" is the the Japanese word for "Lunch box". As a gift to my husband for his birthday I purchased a few of these neat little boxes and promised him "Bento's" for work. He's loved them and I've had lots of fun creating them. The picture here is of my very first attempt at Bento. It's not traditional Japanese food, but it was what I had on hand and was lots of fun. Most of my pictures which will be posted here are of the Bento's I've made for my husband.

Okay! So I'll describe what's in this bento, keep in mind it was my first attempt lol...

Top: Tomagoyaki (fried sweet rolled egg), Sticky rice with green onion stars.
Bottom: Chicken nuggets, Spinach rolls, Sliced beets with mushrooms.

No comments:

Post a Comment